Thursday, April 5, 2012

Narn - first attempt

The first step in creating something like narn (newspaper yarn) would surprisingly not be newspaper; you might be thinking to yourself, "yes it is, after all that is the medium you are using to create your alternate form of yarn."
The first step is go to every chain craft store there is and have all of them look at you like you are a crazy person for asking if they sell spindles. Yes, spindles. Being a crafter you might think this is a normal request, especially at a CRAFT store, you know, where they already sell yarn? Let me save you the hassle, the strange looks, people speed walking away from you after you ask the question like you are a leper - you will not find a drop spindle at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, or JoAnns. Trust me, you will thank me for letting you know this ahead of time. You can try a locally owned craft store, the closest one I have was a Sew & Vac (hey, I had tried everything else, what could it hurt), they too, will probably look at you like you are crazy and will want you out of their small store faster than the chain stores usher you out the door. I will tell you that you can find them at such places as Wal-mart but not all locations carry them but you can buy it from them online.. You can try to reach out to your friends and family but be prepared for Jen like questions, "a spindle, like Rumpelstiltskin?"
Yes, a spindle, but a drop spindle, it looks like a dowel rod with a hook on the end and a coaster near the top... should not be such a hard find! Finally, I went to my trusty Ebay account (where I buy everything anyway and should have just gone straight there), you will find more options here than anywhere else and you actually have some choices!
Once you have reached this point you will be exhausted and will await the arrival of your spindle so you can start making narn. You see that the tracking has it sitting at your door step, the drive home from work will seem a little longer and then when you are almost home you realize the second step in making narn would be to have newspaper! I don't get the paper and I want to buy the Sunday paper for the coupons.

Please stay tuned for the exciting continuation of Narn - a frustrating process that I hope is worth it!

CRAFT ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment